What is the Lebanon Citizens Academy?
The Lebanon Citizens Academy is a three-session program (4 weeks each) that consists of a series of entertaining, hands-on, educational short courses, designed to provide participants with the knowledge and understanding of how Lebanon’s city government works with and for them.
What do the three sessions consist of?
Session 1 is General Government, Library, & Recreation; Session 2 is Public Safety (Police & Fire); and Session 3 is Airport & Public Works.
What are the types of courses offered?
Here are a few examples: (For more information, please visit the Citizens Academy page on our website - http://lebanonnh.gov/academy
City Manager/City Council/City Clerk
- By City Charter, Lebanon operates with a City Council/City Manager form of Government. What does that mean? What are the functions of the City Council vs. that of the City Manager?
- Learn about the history of the municipal clerk profession (you will see and touch the original Town Charter of 1761), the election process and other functions of the City Clerk’s Office.
A Look Inside the Fire Station & How Firefighting Works
- This hands-on interactive session will provide an overview of the different types, most common causes of, and the methods the Lebanon Fire Department utilizes to extinguish fire. Participants will also have the opportunity to practice putting out a fire with a handheld fire extinguisher.
Your Community Airport: Access to the World
- Tour the Lebanon Municipal Airport, learn its history, and view its current operations and activities. Get a chance to see what happens in the Air Tower as well as a ride on the tarmac.
Reduce – Reuse – Recycle – Reclaim
- Learn all about the Landfill that serves as the regional disposal facility for 24 towns in Vermont and New Hampshire. Learn how an unlined landfill gets reclaimed and what the land can be used for in the future.
We are very pleased to offer this unique opportunity to assist you in getting to know how the City operates and introduce you to many of the City’s excellent municipal team members. At the conclusion of the academy, it is our hope that you will take every opportunity to become active and involved in all that the City is and does.
Please contact Tina Stearns in the City Manager’s Office with any questions (603-448-4220 or firstname.lastname@example.org), or apply online at: http://lebanonnh.gov/831/Apply-for-Citizens-Academy