Requests by restaurants to create new outdoor seating areas or to expand existing outdoor seating areas pursuant to Emergency Order #40 issued on May 1, 2020 by the New Hampshire Governor shall be subject to the following requirements.
All requests for new or expanded outdoor seating shall be set up and operated in compliance with the guidance and requirements set forth in Emergency Order #40, including Exhibit C, Section A attached thereto.
For all such requests, applicants shall:
- Complete and submit the standard Building/Zoning Permit Form
- Prepare a sketch plan of the site (which can be obtained from the City’s online GIS system), which depicts:
- Where new seating area(s) will be located on the property in relation to existing structures and parking areas.
- How many seats will be provided.
- Whether the request includes a tent covering, fencing, or other means of delineating the seating area.
- How the outdoor seating area will be accessed (e.g. through the building or directly from outside the building).
- The location of existing building entrances and exits, loading areas, fire lanes, handicapped parking, etc.
- TENTS: If an outdoor seating request includes a tent covering, tent installations shall comply with the New Hampshire Department of Safety’s Tent Inspection Checklist and with the City of Lebanon Guidelines for Restaurants Opening during NH Stay at Home 2.0. Please note: The Fire Department may charge a fee based on the size of the proposed tent.
- ELECTRICITY: If an outdoor seating request includes temporary electrical wiring, whether for lighting, heating, or any other purpose, applicants must complete the Electrical Permit Form and identify how power will be provided to the area in accordance with applicable codes.
For additional local building permitting requirements, please contact the Lebanon Planning & Development Department at 603-448-1524 or visit LebanonNH.gov/BuildingPermit.