Obtaining an Open Burning Permit


The City of Lebanon Fire Department has agreed to participate in the State of New Hampshire Division of Forest and Lands Online Burn Permitting System. The following are answers to frequently asked questions about obtaining a burning permit.

How do I get a permit? 

  • Go to the State of NH online permitting system. All Residents, including West Lebanon, will need to select Lebanon as the community. West Lebanon cannot be added to the State system. ($5.50 transaction fee. The City of Lebanon does not receive any revenue for using the state system.)
  • OR in person at the Lebanon Fire Department at 12 South Park Street. (no fee)

Do I still need to call Lebanon Communications when I begin burning? 

Yes, regardless of where you obtain your permit you are still required to call Lebanon Communications at 603-448-1212 prior to kindling your fire. There are two reasons for this: it allows the City to control open burning when the fire danger is very high, and it prevents the receipt of nuisance fire calls related to open burning. 

When is a burn permit required? 

Permits are required for all open burning within the City of Lebanon, including fire pits. Please review our Open Burning Rules page for more information.