Permits Not Required, However Provisions Needed
It's Yard Sale Season! In case you didn't know, permits are not required for Yard Sales in the City of Lebanon. However, there are certain provisions that must be met. The Zoning Ordinance, Section 207, regulates Yard Sales as follows:
"A yard sale from any one location shall not be considered a use regulated under this Ordinance, providing that it does not occur more than twice within any calendar year for a period of not more than two consecutive days each and does not contain items purchased expressly for such sale. Any such type of sale exceeding these limits shall conform to the provisions of this Ordinance and shall require a zoning permit."
In addition, the City's Code, Section 152-34 allows the posting of Yard Sale signs provided you abide by certain standards. Signs posted in the City's highway right-of-way are regulated, and in most cases prohibited. However, there is an exception for Yard Sale signs. The standards are:
- The purpose of the sign is to announce and give directions to the Yard Sale.
- The Yard Sale must be in compliance with the Zoning Ordinance regulation (Section 207).
- The sign(s) shall not exceed four square feet in area.
- There shall be no more than a total of three signs for any one yard sale.
- The date(s) of the yard sale shall be written on each sign.
- The exception only applies to the actual date of the yard sale and the date prior to the sale.
- City authorities may remove or relocate any such sign which impedes traffic or visibility, or otherwise impairs the safety and convenience of the traveling public.
Timely Sign Take-Down
Please be considerate and remove your yard sale signs as soon as the sale is over. Signs left posted after the date of the yard sale are confusing to those looking for yard sales, and the signs eventually deteriorate and become litter. Please help keep Lebanon a clean and safe place to live, work and play.
If you have any questions, please contact the City's Code Department at 603-448-1524.