New Residents to Lebanon

Welcome to Lebanon!

The Lebanon City Clerk's office offers a variety of services to our residents, but our main services include Motor Vehicle Registrations, Elections, Vital Records, Dog Licensing, and the sale of Landfill Tickets. As a new resident, we know you have a lot to do with your move, so we want to help you plan an efficient trip to our office.

The Basics

Forms of Payment

  • Cash
  • Check
  • Debit and Credit (Non-refundable processing fees will be collected at the time of the transaction. The fee is 2.99% with a minimum fee of $2.50. The processing fees are charged directly to our third-party processor and are not retained by the City of Lebanon.)


  • Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Marriage Licensing Hours: Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  • We don't close for lunch, but we do close promptly at 5 p.m.

Proof of Residency

Motor Vehicle Registrations & Driver's Licenses

New residents have 60 days to obtain a New Hampshire driver's license and register their motor vehicles. Driver's licenses are obtained through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The two closest DMV locations to Lebanon are:

Motor Vehicle registrations are processed at the town or city clerk level. If you are a resident of Lebanon or West Lebanon, please visit our office at:

City Hall
51 N Park Street
Lebanon, NH 03766

Motor Vehicle Registration Fees

Vehicle registrations are comprised of 2 different fees, a City portion, and a State portion. In most instances, you can pay both portions of your registration fees with our office. However, some first-time registrations may involve a trip to a DMV location after your visit to our office.

Please visit our Motor Vehicle Registration page for more information regarding registering your vehicle. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the process or obtain an estimate (fees vary per vehicle), please contact our office at 603-448-3054 before your visit.


New Hampshire does not have a "Motor Voter" law, meaning you won't be registered to vote automatically by obtaining a car registration or driver's license. Voter Registration can be done at the City Clerk's office during regular business hours. While you are visiting our office to register your vehicle or license your dog, we encourage you to complete a voter registration form while you wait.

If you forget to register to vote at our office, don't worry, there are several other opportunities for voter registration. Supervisor of the Checklist Sessions are held outside of our business hours and may be more convenient for you, or you can wait until Election Day. The State of New Hampshire currently allows for residents to register to vote at their polling location on Election Day. These voters are permitted to vote that day as well.

When registering to vote, you can choose to declare a party affiliation, either Democrat, Republican, or Libertarian. You will be listed as Undeclared if you do not wish to affiliate with any of the three parties. During Primary Elections, voters who are registered as Democrat, Republican or Libertarian will only be able to select that party's ballot. Undeclared voters who wish to participate in a Primary will declare a party affiliation at the polls and, after casting their ballot, can choose to revert to Undeclared status. General Elections do not require you to affiliate with a party.

Dog Licensing

Do you own a dog? Dog licensing is required under New Hampshire Law 466:1. To license your dog, please bring a current rabies vaccination and spay or neuter certificate, if applicable. Puppies (dogs under seven months old) and Spayed or Neutered dogs are $7.50. Dogs that are older than seven months and not fixed are $10. Senior Citizens (65 or over by May 1) may license one dog for $3.

Be sure to ask us about our Top Dog contest if you visit our office in March or April!

Vital Records

Are you getting married? Couples wishing to marry in the State of New Hampshire must obtain a marriage license at a City or Town Clerk's office. Our office issues marriage licenses between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. The cost is $50, and the license is valid for 90 days. While we do not perform ceremonies here at City Hall, we do have a list of local Justices of the Peace (JP) available for your convenience (should you wish to have a JP perform your ceremony.)

Our office also issues certified copies of birth, marriage, and death certificates. Certified copies are $15 for one copy and $10 for additional copies of the same record.