New Resident Possessing a Vehicle Title


This information is for new residents who have moved to New Hampshire with a vehicle that was registered in their name in their former state. If you are a new resident and have just purchased a vehicle this page will not be applicable to your transaction, view the Newly Purchased Vehicle page for additional information.

To register your vehicle, please come to our office with the following documents and information:
The following states always give the title to the owner, regardless of having a lienholder:
  • New York
  • Kentucky
  • Maryland
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Oklahoma
  • Wisconsin

If you have moved from any other state and still make payments, you are more than likely not in possession of your title.

Before Coming in, Examine Your Title

If you had a lien holder at one time but have paid off the vehicle, please make sure the lien holder has signed the lien release on the face of your title. If they haven’t, please bring in a lien release letter from your lien holder.

If there is more than one owner listed on your title, all owners will have to sign a New Hampshire title application. 

  • If you are not able to appear in person, a friend or family member can complete the transaction on your behalf. It is recommended that you contact our office prior to sending someone in, to ensure that the correct documentation is provided. In general, this designee will be asked to show photo identification at the time of the transaction, as well as one or more of the following: 
  1. Permission to Register Form (PDF). On this form you will provide your vehicle information and indicate which plate type you would like to purchase. This form must be completed even if the person processing for you will appear as the second owner on the registration. This is because the first person on the registration is considered to be the owner of the license plates. Please note, you do not need to complete this form if you are transferring plates that have not yet expired.
  2. Power of Attorney Form (PDF).  This form allows your designee to sign the NH Title Application on your behalf; it will not enable him or her to do anything else, such as sell, the vehicle.   

Additional Information

First time registrations cannot be issued for less than 5 months or more than 16 months. The first time is prorated. Renewals are done at twelve month intervals and are not prorated.

New residents have 60 days upon establishing residency to obtain a New Hampshire drivers license and register their vehicles.