Fuel & Electric Assistance
Tri-County CAP's Electric and Fuel Assistance Programs
Call Tri-County CAP's Ashland, NH office at 603-968-3560 to apply for the following programs.
The Electric Assistance Program
- Offers a discount on the monthly electric bill up to 70 percent based on income eligibility. Applications are taken on an ongoing basis year-round.
- The Neighbor Helping Neighbor Fund allows you to apply for assistance to pay your electric bill.
- If you have electric heat, apply for the Fuel Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Section 8 units and some subsidized units are not eligible.
The Fuel Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Approved funds are paid directly to the heating vendor; or, to the landlord if heat is included in the rent.
- The most vulnerable households, those with elderly (age 62 or older) or disabled members, or families with children age 6 and younger, are prioritized for applications.
- All other households may call for an appointment beginning September 1 before the upcoming heating year.
- Be sure to inform Tri-County CAP staff, in the first phone call, whether you reside in Section 8 or other subsidized housing units, and if heat is included in the rent. You may not be eligible for LIHEAP.
- Be sure to provide all the documentation required and listed in your notice from Tri-County CAP, for instance: your most recent Tax Return. If you do not have it, call the IRS at 800-829-1040 and request a transcript of your most recent Return be mailed to you.
- LIHEAP Program grant funding is typically approved and released after December 1 of the heating year. This date can change.
- Emergency applications for fuel assistance (LIHEAP) are accepted after the date the Program grant funds are approved and released; and, only if:
- There is less than 1 week of fuel available to the household
- Heat is included in the rent and the applicant has received a Landlord/Tenant Writ citing a hearing date for eviction and possession of the property.
Income Eligibility Guidelines for Electric and Fuel Assistance
The following table displays the income eligibility guidelines for Electric and Fuel Assistance.
- Request an Assessment of the Energy Efficiency of the household in order to identify ways to improve efficiency and save costs related to heating, cooling, electricity, hot water, etc. Assistance is provided to income-eligible households in implementing improvements that will increase energy efficiency and reduce costs.
Income Eligibility Guidelines for Weatherization Program
The following table displays the income eligibility guidelines for the 200% FPG Weatherization Program that were updated on 2/01/21.
COVER Weatherization Program
Call 802-296-7241 to apply. All work is done on a sliding scale. If you do not qualify for assistance, weatherization materials are still available for sale at the ReCover Store at discounted prices.
- Air-sealing around doors using gaskets and sweeps
- Air-sealing around windows using reusable 4-mil vinyl storm window kits
- Air-sealing attic hatches and bulkhead doors
- Assisting in the installation of storm windows
- Insulating hot water pipes and hot water heaters
- Other existing winter protection
- Providing weatherization materials at discount prices